Posting and Hiring Process for Faculty Positions
Click HERE for a printable version of this page.
Delta State University
Posting Procedures and Hiring Process for Faculty Positions
Listed below are instructions for posting a position, formally hiring new faculty, and completing paperwork to get new faculty member on payroll. Please read through these steps along with the Recruitment Budget Guidelines before beginning your recruitment process. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 4035.
In order to comply with DSU policy all candidates must formally apply for the position for which they are being considered. Applicants will not be considered without an online application. To formally apply, the applicant must submit application materials to the Office of Human Resources online employment application site: https://deltastate.peopleadmin.com. They can also access the site at Jobs@DSU. The Hiring Manager Site can be accessed on the Human Resources home page or at: https://deltastate.peopleadmin.com/hr.
- Departments should receive permission to search for a position from the dean and the provost before creating the job description in PeopleAdmin.
- Departments are responsible for creating the Position Approval Request by posting their position through the DSU Online PeopleAdmin Employment Site. This is done by the Hiring Manager accessing and posting their position using the guidelines stated in the PeopleAdmin User Guide.
- Positions must be posted for a minimum of 5 calendar days. Job postings that do not include closing dates may close at any time of the day once the minimum posting period is met and by mutual agreement between Human Resources and the hiring department.
- If the position is closed and the hiring department determines that more applications are needed, the department can contact Human Resources asking to reopen the position.
- If the department/division has received a sufficient amount of qualified applicants, they will begin the interview process.
- Once interview candidates are determined, the hiring department/division chair will ask the appropriate college/school dean for permission to bring the candidates to campus to interview. The Faculty Certification of Credentials Form must be complete before the dean can approve bringing the candidate to campus to interview.
- The department will create an Interview Budget Estimate for each on-campus interview candidate and submit it to the Office of Human Resources for review and approval. Email the budget to Rachel Becker.
- Once the interview budget has been approved and the candidates have been credentialed, candidates may be invited to campus for interviews. The chair will provide the salary range for the position when inviting a candidate for an interview.
- Campus interviews must include meetings with the search committee, and the department/division chair, and the college/school dean, and a presentation to students (when possible). A meeting with the Provost should be scheduled if his/her schedule allows.
- After the interviews are complete and a preferred candidate has been identified, the department/division chair will forward the paperwork for the department’s selection to the Dean for approval.
- Once approval is given, department chairs will contact the candidate they wish to hire and ask if he/she would be willing to consider a formal offer from the Provost. If the candidate is amenable to an official offer, the hiring department/division chair will draft a letter of offer to the successful candidate and submit it electronically to the Office of Academic Affairs for the Provost’s signature. All letters of offer for faculty are signed by the Provost. The offer letter must include:
- A request for original transcript(s) be sent to Delta State University, Academic Affairs, Kent Wyatt Hall 228.
- Direction to the applicant to sign the offer letter indicating acceptance of the position
- Terms of employment as delineated in the letter of offer
- Notification of a satisfactory background check as a contingency to employment
- Once the signed offer letter is returned to the Provost’s Office, that office will send a copy of the Letter of Offer to the department. The department will then send the following items to the Office of Academic Affairs:
- Complete EAF (Employment Action Form) to initiate payroll for new employee and initiate the drafting of a formal contract
- Faculty Certification of Credentials Form
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Human Resources Employee Information Form
- Emails to applicants who were not interviewed will be automatically generated by the PeopleAdmin system when the positions is filled. Departments will notify by letter or email candidates who were interviewed, but not selected, notifying them that the position has been filled.
- The department/division chair will ensure the search process is formally closed through PeopleAdmin.
Procedures Effective Date: February 27, 2014
Academic Council approved 2/27/14; 09/10/2015
The Office of Human Resources and Academic Council reserves the right to amend any and all of the Recruitment and Hiring Guidelines as deemed necessary.