Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
New York, NY
A group accidental death and dismemberment insurance plan which offers high level protection at a low premium is available to employees who desire to pay the full premium to supplement other coverage. You can select a Principal Amount based on your individual needs. The amount will be based on your annual salary or a flat dollar amount. The highest amount available is 10 times your basic annual earnings or $500,000, whichever is less. Employees may also cover their spouses and children for a percentage of the face amount of the coverage selected. Coverage is provided regardless of health history and provides broad 24-hour protection, year round. Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment is offered through Metlife
Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment covers:
|For The Loss Of||
The Amount Payable Is
|Two or more members||Principal Amount|
|One member||50% of Principal Amount|
|Thumb and index finger on same hand||25% of Principal Amount|
|Hearing in both ears||50% of Principal Amount|
|Speech||50% of Principal Amount|
|Hearing in both ears and speech||Principal Amount|
|Covered losses also include:||
The Amount Payable Is
|Paraplegia||50% of Principal Amount|
|Hemiplegia||50% of Principal Amount|
In addition to choosing coverage for yourself, VAD&D offers you the opportunity to choose coverage for your family. Spouses and dependent children can receive VAD&D, including the Seat Belt, Exposure and Hospitalization Benefits.
Family Benefits include:
- If you are married with children, your spouse may be covered for 40% of your Principal Amount and each child for 10% of your Principal Amount.
- If you are married without children, your spouse may be covered for 50% of your Principal Amount.
- If you do not have a spouse, your children may each be covered for 15% of your Principal Amount.
- If you and your spouse were to die in the same accident, your spouse’s death benefit would be increased to 100% of your Principal Amount.
- Seat Belt Benefit: Payable if you or a covered dependent should die from injuries sustained in an accident while driving or riding in a private passenger car and wearing a properly fastened seat belt. The benefit amount is an additional 10% of your Principal Amount, but not less than $1,000 or more than $25,000.
- Hospitalization Benefit: Provides the patient with a monthly income to help defray hospitalization costs resulting from an accident. It is equal to 1% of your Principal Amount to a maximum of $2,500 per month, with a maximum during of 12 months.
- Child Education Benefit: Provides tuition funds for each eligible dependent child to attend college or another accredited institution for up to four years as long as the child is enrolled in the institution at the time of, or within one year following your accidental death. The yearly benefit for each eligible child is equal to 2% of your Principal Amount or the actual amount of tuition costs incurred, whichever is less. The benefit maximum is $5,000 per child. If none of your dependent children qualifies, an additional benefit of $1,000 will be paid to your beneficiary.
- Spouse Education Benefit: Provides tuition funds if your spouse is enrolled in an accredited school at the time of your accidental death. The benefit is payable for up to one year and is equal to the actual cost of tuition or $5,000, whichever is less.
- Common Disaster Benefit: Provides funds if you and yours spouse die within one year of sustaining bodily injuries in the same accident or separate accidents occurring within the same 24 hour period. The spouse’s benefit amount will be increased to equal that of the employee’s schedule of benefits.
VAD&D Monthly Rates:
This page is maintained by Lisa Giger. Send questions and comments regarding this site to firstname.lastname@example.org