Division of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation
The Master of Education degree is designed for students who wish to pursue professional study in education as classroom teachers, counselors, supervisors, administrators, or in specialized areas. To review admission requirements for the MEd in HPER degree program, see the 2016-2017 Graduate Catalog.
Graduate assistantships are offered to students seeking work experience as athletic coaches, athletic trainers, sports information personnel, and personal trainers in the health and wellness area.
Graduate assistants help to complete athletic, athletic training, and wellness professional staffs. Assistantships may be available in the Division of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation.
Requirements for Graduation
Degree Requirements. A candidate for the Master of Education degree in the College of Education and Human Sciences is required to meet the following:
- Fulfill the general requirements for a graduate degree at Delta State University.
- Complete graduate work consisting of core courses, major field hours and elective hours as specified. At least one half of major field courses must be at 600-level or higher.
- Earn a grade point average of at least 3.0 in the major field and overall.
- Earn a B average on the education core courses (ELR 605, EPY 601, and CUR 608).
- Pass an oral and/or written examination in the candidate’s major field administered by a committee appointed by the division chair.
- Optional. With the consent of the advisor, a candidate may elect to write a thesis for 6 semester hours of credit in the major field.