The alternate route program takes approximately 13 months to complete and leads to a master’s degree in teaching and Mississippi AA licensure.
The program runs from summer to summer and has two emphasis areas available, elementary education and secondary education
The MAT program is designed for those without a teaching degree who want to become teachers.
Applications will be accepted February 1 through April 30 (must include passing Praxis scores).
Minimum Admission Requirements (required by the Mississippi Department of Education)
- • Bachelor’s degree from a regionally/nationally accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA
- • Passing score on both the Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) examination and the appropriate Praxis II
- minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on the last degree earned
- obtain admission to Delta State’s Graduate School
- submit the MAT Portfolio to the coordinator, which includes three reference letters and an essay
- secure a teaching position for the fall and spring semesters, matching the Praxis II content area passed or any endorsement on your 3-year license
Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE)
There are two programs of study to choose from, elementary track (33 hours) and secondary track (30 hours). Both provide specialized knowledge for teaching areas.
Praxis II Test
Praxis II scores will be used for admission into the program. The Praxis may also be taken/passed to teach a content area for which a degree was not earned.
List of Approved Praxis II Exams for MAT (Revised August 2010)
Subject — Praxis II Test Code
Art — 0134 or 5134
Biology — 0235 or 5235
Business — 0101 or 5101
Chemistry — 0245 or 5245
Elementary Education (4-6) — 5018
English — 5038
French — 5174
German — 5183
Home Economics — 0121 or 5121
Marketing — 0561
Math — 5161
Music — 5113
Physical Education — 0091 or 5091
Physics — 0265 or 5265
Social Studies — 0081 or 5081
Spanish — 5195
Speech Communications — 0221 or 5221
Why is the GPA so important?
It is one indication of content knowledge.
How many hours does the MAT program require?
Secondary Track = 30 Hour
Elementary Track = 33 hours
Additional Questions? Contact:
Dr. Tom J.P. Brady, MAT Program Coordinator 662-846-4377 firstname.lastname@example.org