The alternate route program takes approximately 13 months to complete and leads to a master’s degree in teaching and Mississippi AA licensure.
The program runs from summer to summer and has two emphasis areas available, elementary education and secondary education
The MAT program is designed for those without a teaching degree who want to become teachers.
Applications will be accepted February 1 through April 30 (must include passing Praxis scores).
Minimum Admission Requirements (required by the Mississippi Department of Education)
- bachelor’s degree from a regionally/nationally accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA
- passing score on both the Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) examination and the Praxis II
- minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on the last degree earned
- obtain admission to Delta State’s Graduate School
- submit the MAT Portfolio to the coordinator, which includes three reference letters and an essay
- secure a teaching position for the fall and spring semesters, matching the Praxis II content area passed or any endorsement on your 3-year license
Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE)
There are two programs of study to choose from, elementary track (33 hours) and secondary track (30 hours). Both provide specialized knowledge for teaching areas.
Praxis II Test
Praxis II scores will be used for admission into the program. The Praxis may also be taken/passed to teach a content area for which a degree was not earned.
List of Approved Praxis II Exams for MAT (Revised August 2010)
Subject — Praxis II Test Code
Art — 0133
Biology — 0235
Business — 0101
Chemistry — 0245
Elementary Education (4-6) — 0014
English — 0041
French — 0174
Home Economics 0120
Marketing — 0560
Math — 0061
Music — 0113
Physical Education — 0091
Physics — 0265
Social Studies — 0081
Spanish — 0195
Speech Communications — 0220
These resources provide further information on the Praxis exams:
Why is the GPA so important?
It is one indication of content knowledge.
How many hours does the MAT program require?
Secondary Track = 30 Hour
Elementary Track = 33 hours
Additional Questions? Contact:
Dr. Angela Bridges, MAT Program Coordinator 662-846-4370 email@example.com