The Educational Specialist in Elementary Education program is designed to prepare quality elementary teachers who can provide effective instruction and provide leadership for fellow teachers at both the primary and intermediate levels.
Online delivery affords you the flexibility needed for advancing your career without interrupting your current work duties while engaging you in an online learning community that is rich in diverse teaching experiences.
The content of the courses and related experiences give the teachers an in-depth perspective of teaching from a holistic and reflective point of view.
Course instructors are highly credentialed and provide a wealth of knowledge that will facilitate your ability to translate current research and best practices into practical classroom experiences.
1. A Master’s degree from an institution fully accredited by one of the recognized accrediting agencies.
2. A Class AA teaching certificate, or its equivalent, and a Master’s degree in a related field.
3. A grade point average (GPA) of 3.25 on coursework completed for the Master’s degree.
4. A satisfactory score on a nationally recognized, standardized test of verbal skills.
5. A passing score on the PRAXIS II, Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment (K-5), or Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment (4-8); or passing score on a test in Elementary Education approved by the Mississippi State Department of Education (for the Educational Specialist degree in Elementary Education).
How to Apply for Graduation
Use the online application process to apply for graduation at least one semester prior to the semester of graduation. Paper applications are no longer accepted. Complete the process by going to the Registrar’s Office website.
Graduate students must have completed at least 18 earned credit hours (not including the current semester) in order to apply for graduation.