To be admitted to the program, the following requirements must be met:
- Complete one of these courses with a C or better: CUR 300 (Survey of Education with Field Experiences) CUR 302 (Orientation and Field Experiences) CEL 301 (Introduction to Elementary Education)
- Submit application for admission to the Teacher Education Program
- Meet test requirements for one of the following: Core Academic Skills for Educators (CORE) Reading, Writing, and Mathematics OR have an ACT composite score of 21 with no sub-score below 18. Candidates with this ACT requirement are exempted from CORE Reading and Mathematics but must satisfy the university writing proficiency requirement.
- Achieve at least a 2.75 grade point average on all General Education coursework provided that the average general education GPA of the accepted cohort meets or exceeds a minimum of 3.0.
- Obtain a recommendation by majority of department/division faculty
- Meet other requirements as dictated by state, federal, and/or accreditation agencies
Prerequisites for Student Teacher Interns
Internship applicants must be approved by the Teacher Education Council. All requirements for student teaching must be met before a student is admitted to the internship semester.
- Senior standing (87 and over semester hours)
- Nine hours in residence in the teaching field
- Grade point average of 2.75 on all course work taken provided that the average overall GPA of the accepted cohort of candidates meets or exceeds a minimum of 3.0
- Completion of prerequisite courses as shown in catalog
- Submission of application for admission to the Internship Program
- Recommendation by majority of department/division faculty
- Pass the appropriate Praxis Specialty Area Test and the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching Test
Program Completion Requirements
In order to complete the Teacher Education Program and to qualify for a Mississippi teaching license, an applicant must:
- Complete all requirements for the appropriate degree
- Meet all the minimum course requirements
- Pass the appropriate Praxis Series tests
- Submit an application for licensure to the Mississippi Department of Education
The applicant is responsible for having his or her Praxis scores sent to the Mississippi Department of Education and Delta State University. Students who are exempt from the PPST or CASE based on ACT scores must pass either ENG 300 (Writing Proficiency Examination) or the PPST/CASE Writing test or ENG 301 or receive a score of 3 or higher on the CAAP Writing Essay Examination.
Required Scores for Licensure
See Appendix B and C at Mississippi Department of Education Requirements for Licensure
Praxis II Principles of Learning & Teaching
|(for approved Teacher Ed program candidates only)||Passing Score|
|Grade Level PreK-K||(0621 or 5621) 157|
|Grade Level K-6||(0622 or 5622) 160|
|Grade Level 7-12||(0624 or 5624) 157|
|Grade Level K-12||Take K-6 or 7-12 Exam|