Spring 2015 audition information
- Members of the Fall 2014 band do not need to re-audition. Spring 2015 will be used only to fill vacancies. In some cases, it may be possible to double parts or use alternates.
- Improvisation or previous jazz experience are not required.
- Saxophonists should audition on whichever saxophone (alto/tenor/baritone) they own and are most comfortable with; parts will be assigned.
- Trumpet and trombone players may choose to prepare either the “high” or the “low” part, whichever best suits their range. Parts will be assigned to those selected for the band.
- All instruments (other than drums) may optionally prepare the improvisation portion. Improvisation is not required for participation in the band.
- The “Times Square” recording may be used for reference in practicing the prepared piece. Measure 91 is at about 2:50 on the recording.
- To schedule an audition, please contact Dr. Pimentel at (662) 846-4608 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Auditions will be held by appointment during Fall 2014 finals week, 12/8 – 12/12.
For all instrumentalists:
For individual instruments:
If you have any questions, contact Dr. Pimentel at (662) 846-4608 or email@example.com
The DSU Jazz Ensemble is a “big band” made up of music majors and non-music majors selected by competitive audition. The band is known in the community for its annual Big Band Bash fundraiser, an evening of dining, dancing, and classic Swing Era music.
Big band jazz is characterized by tightly coordinated, high-energy playing from a large horn section made up of trumpets, trombones, and saxophones, working in partnership with a powerful, driving rhythm section of keyboards, bass, and drums. Individual group members often perform solos that are “improvised”—composed spontaneously in live performance.
The DSU Jazz Ensemble’s repertoire includes favorites from the Swing Era of the 1930’s and 1940’s as well as more contemporary jazz styles from the 1950’s to the present.