- Events for Prospective Students
- Admissions and Music Scholarships
- Audition Dates
- Audition Requirements
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Music Theory Entrance Exam (music majors and minors)
- More Information
Events for Prospective Students
- Band Day (for high school students, community college students, and alumni)
- Delta State University Honor Choir
- Delta State University Honor Band
- The Art of the Piano
Admissions and Music Scholarships
For admission, all prospective music students must follow the general admission procedure of the University and audition for admission and music scholarships. Please download and submit the music scholarship application form.
For international admission, please visit the following web site as well:
Auditions occur on specially designated days during the spring semester on the campus of DSU. Students who are unable to attend one of the scheduled auditions dates may contact the Department of Music at (662) 846-4615 to schedule an audition date. Prospective students are encouraged to audition on campus. If a live audition cannot be arranged, recorded auditions may be acceptable upon approval of the music faculty.
Audition Dates for Entrance in Fall 2016
- Friday, December 4th, 2015
- Thursday, March 3, 2016
- Monday, April 4, 2016
Auditions are also held during Honor Band and Honor Choir weekends. If you cannot attend an audition date please call and we will set up an alternate date for you.
To schedule an audition, fill out the registration form, contact the main office at 662-846-4615, or contact the appropriate ensemble director:
- Band: Dr. Erik Richards, 662-846-4629, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Choir: Dr. Nicholaus Cummins, 662-846-4115, email@example.com
- Two selections of contrasting styles and tempos
- Selected scales
- Snare Drum: (1) Prepared piece; (2) selected rudiments; (3) sight-reading.
- Mallet Instruments: (1) Prepared piece; (2) selected scales; (3) sight-reading.
- Timpani: (1) prepared piece; (2) sight-reading.
- Voice majors should prepare two pieces of contrasting styles; one should be in a foreign language if possible. All other majors should prepare one piece. An accompanist will be provided.
- Tonal memory
- Two selections from contrasting styles and periods by memory. Recommended audition repertoire may include the following: a work by a Baroque composer, a work or a movement of sonatas by a Classical composer, or a work by a 19th or 20th century composer.
- Major and harmonic minor scales: At least two octaves, hands together
- Sight-reading of a simple piano solo piece
Music scholarships are awarded based upon demonstrated performance abilities. Scholarship offers may be made only after a student has been admitted to the university.
Delta State University offers a comprehensive program of financial aid to assist students in obtaining a college education. Financial aid is available in the form of academic scholarships, loans, grants, and work-study programs. A music scholarship is one potential financial resource. Students are encouraged to explore all available resources for financial assistance:
Music Theory Entrance Exam
All entering music majors and minors are required to demonstrate their knowledge of music theory and notation and proficiency in musicianship by taking music theory entrance exams in the first week of their first semester as a music major or minor at DSU.
These may be helpful in preparing for music theory entrance exams:
- Explanation of DSU music theory entrance exams
- Sample exams
- Freshman Aural Skills Entrance Exam (for all incoming freshman students)
- Freshman Music Theory Entrance Exam (for all incoming freshman students)
- Freshman Music Theory Advanced Placement Exam (for freshman who have taken AP Music Theory and wish to test out of first-semester theory)
- MUS 250 Music Theory Diagnostic Exam (for all sophomore students)
- MUS 252 Aural Skills Diagnostic Exam (for all sophomore students)
- Sophomore Music Theory Validation Exam (for transfer students who wish to transfer their freshman and sophomore theory credits from a community college)
- Sophomore Aural Skills Validation Exam (for transfer students who wish to transfer their freshman and sophomore aural theory credits from a community college)
- Exploring Theory with Practica Musica (external site)
- Teoría (external site)
Department of Music
Delta State University
Cleveland, MS 38733