The William H. Zeigel Music Center is home to the Department of Music. The center’s name memorializes the significant influence on the academic program of the university of the late William Henry Zeigel, who came in 1925 as the first academic dean and served until his retirement in 1947. The facility features eight studio offices, rehearsal rooms for band and choir, and twelve practice rooms. A “smart classroom” uses the latest teaching technology. A fifteen-station Computer Lab houses computers and music software for student use. The music department also has instructional space in adjacent Bailey Hall where a 16-station electronic piano laboratory, piano and voice studios, the choral music library, and a music classroom are located.
The Department of Music frequently uses the Bologna Performing Arts Center for performances, rehearsals, and classes. This architectural masterpiece, named for the family of Dr. Nino Bologna of Greenville, Mississippi, in recognition of their outstanding support of the performing arts, graces the northwest border of our campus. The facility features the state-of-the-art Delta and Pine Land Theatre that seats 1200 and a 135-seat recital hall. The facility covers 37,000 square feet and includes an 85-foot high flyway, orchestra pit with lift, acoustical treatments, modern sound, lighting, and projection equipment.