Languages & Literature – Scholarship Information
General academic scholarships are automatically awarded once an official transcript is received and all qualifications met. University Work Study Programs and the Delta State Regular Student Employment Program are available also. For details, call The Student Financial Assistance Office, 662-846-4670. Community College Transfer Scholarships are also available. Guidelines for applying for Community College Transfer Scholarships can be obtained from the Division Office, 662-846-4060.
The Division of Languages & Literature offers several scholarships and awards:
|The John Ford Shakespeare Award
- Established in 2014 in honor of Professor John Ford, who taught Shakespeare at Delta State University for over twenty-five years, this award goes to an English major who has demonstrated academic excellence in Shakespeare studies.
- Delta State University’s top journalism award was established in honor of Dr. John C. Merrill, a renowned journalist, educator, author, and Delta State University alumnus.
- Most recent recipient: Casey Green
|The Leola Gregory Williams Scholarship
- The Leola G. Williams Scholarship was established in 1981 to honor the courage and dedication exhibited by Mrs. Williams, an educator for more than thirty years and instructor of English at the University from 1974 until her death in 1981.
- Most recent recipients: Roger Tollison and Destiny Keys
|The Weaver Betts Cotton Scholarship
- The scholarship is presented to a junior or senior woman who is majoring in English who demonstrates excellence in scholarship, citizenship, and character.
- Most recent recipient: Calli Musselwhite
|The Evelyn Hammett Scholarship
- This award is presented to a junior English major who is chosen by the English faculty as an outstanding writer.
- Most recent recipient: Jessica Woods
|The J’Nell Posey Coffman Memorial Scholarship
- This award for creative writing was established by Charlie Coffman in memory of his wife, J’Nell Posey Coffman. It is awarded to an outstanding student in the creative writing degree program.
- Most recent recipient: Trevor Spivey
|The Annie Caulfeild-Winston Scholarship
- This award is presented to a junior or senior English major who is selected on the basis of excellence in English, character, and general culture.
- Most recent recipient: Stephanie Messer
|The Ellen Douglas Scholarship
- This $1,000 scholarship, named for a celebrated Greenville, Mississippi, novelist, is awarded annually to an outstanding entering freshman majoring in English.
- Most recent recipient: Jess Bennett
- The Robert “Buzzy” D. Wright Foreign Language Award and the Foreign Language Book Scholarship are presented to the most outstanding foreign language major. Students who are studying more that one foreign language are usually given top consideration.
- Most recent recipients:
- The Robert “Buzzy D. Wright Foreign Language Award: Jesse Cooper
- Foreign Language Book Scholarships:
- Spanish: Shaqaydra B. Daniel
- French: Michael Fair
|The John Hargrove Tatum Memorial Scholarship
- Established in memory of Dr. John Tatum, who served for twenty years as Professor of German and Coordinator of International Studies, the scholarship is awarded annually to a deserving German or international undergraduate student.
- Most recent recipient: Melanie Tombers
|The Rose Drake Burrell Scholarship
- This scholarship is awarded to a deserving English or History major who demonstrates excellence in scholarship, citizenship, and character.
- Most recent English recipient: Katie Turner
|The William Authur Pennington Award
- This award, honoring Dr. William A. Pennington, who served on the faculty of DSU for over forty years, will be given annually to an outstanding student of Philosophy.
- Most recent recepient: Kevin Tharp
- The highest academic honor given to a Delta State University student, in honor of the former Dean of the University.
- Most recent recipient in Languages & Literature: Olivia Wilbanks
- Established in memory of Ms. Hazel Thornell, this award is given annually to a student who has written an outstanding informal essay.
- Most recent recepient: Rebecca Baskett
- Entering freshmen in liberal arts may compete for the Davidson Scholarship, which covers the entire cost of tuition, room and board, and books. For further information, contact the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, 662-846-4100.
- Most recent recipient in Languages & Literature: Rebecca Seawright
Faculty Webmaster: Edward Plough