- Provides students an understanding of the local, regional, national, and global significance of the Mississippi Delta;
- Offers field-based courses in the Delta;
- Encourages the use and interpretation of available archival and other primary sources on the Delta, particularly in the Capps Archives;
- Prepares students to continue their studies on a doctoral level.
- Provides students the option of pursuing an 18-hour concentration in History
- Engage students in current research and scholarship on the Mississippi Delta.