Division of Social Sciences & History
- Social Science Concentration Curriculum
- Sociology Concentration Curriculum
- Geography Concentration Curriculum
- Global Studies Concentration Curriculum
- Applied Developmental Studies Concentration Curriculum
Social Science majors study a variety of topics such as:
- Social institutions – their structures and how they affect human behavior and how they are affected by human behavior. Examples of social institutions include the family, economy, government, education, and religion.
- A wide range of social issues such as: poverty, access to education / healthcare / housing, and sustainable development. Social issues are also examined across race, class, and gender.
- Theoretical perspectives that help interpret, explain, and understand:
- a wide range of social issues
- political matters
- environmental concerns
- community development processes
- Global perspectives on political, economic, environmental, and sociological issues.
- Spatial/Social relationships – how do space, place, and social interactions converge and what happens when they do.
Social Science majors graduate with a host of skills: writing, research, critical and analytical thinking, oral communication, the ability to understand culture and how it is affected by a variety of factors including race, class, gender, politics, and the economy. Using these skills students can pursue careers in a variety of fields.
- Human Resources
- Compliance officers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Advocacy work
- Meeting/Event Planners
- Urban/Regional Planners
- Public Relations
- Campaign Manager
- Program Manager
- Nongovernmental Organizations (NGOs)
- Federal or Local Government
An undergraduate degree in Social Sciences also prepares students for graduate school. Some pertinent careers that require a graduate degree are:
- Occupational therapist
- Instructor at a College/University
Global Studies Concentration Coordinator
Associate Professor of Political Science
Sociology Concentration Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Sociology and Community Development
Geography Concentration Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Geography and Sustainable Development