Department of Mathematics
Bachelor of Science (BS)
The BS degree provides a foundation for professional careers in mathematics as well as a basis for advanced study in the subject. When supplemented with professional education courses, the program of study will prepare students to teach mathematics in secondary schools.
Bachelor of Science in Education (BSE)
The BSE degree prepares students to teach mathematics in secondary schools. This program provides a foundation for those students who wish to pursue an advanced degree in mathematics.
In addition to the two degree programs, the Department of Mathematics offers a program of pre-engineering designed for the student who wishes to complete a portion of an engineering curriculum before attending an engineering school.
The Department of Mathematics at Delta State University offers the following advantages:
- Small classes–especially in advanced courses
- Classes taught by experienced faculty
- Free tutoring for students in lower division courses
- Courses incorporate computational and graphics technology
- Resource libraries
- Methods courses taught in the department by professors of mathematics education
- Academic advising by mathematics faculty
- Faculty actively involved in professional development
- Kappa Mu Epsilon–national honor society for mathematics majors