Division of Languages and Literature
The Division of Languages and Literature offers several scholarships and awards, including:
The John R. Ford Shakespeare Award
- Established in 2014 in honor of Professor John R. Ford, who taught Shakespeare at Delta State University for over thirty years, this award goes the author of the best essay on Shakespeare in the previous year.
The John and Dorothy Merrill Scholarship
- Delta State University’s top award for students involved with student publications. It was established in honor of Dr. John C. Merrill, a renowned journalist, educator, author, and Delta State University alumnus.
The Leola Gregory Williams Scholarship
- The Leola G. Williams Scholarship, rewarding excellence in writing in general education courses, was established in 1981 to honor the courage and dedication exhibited by Mrs. Williams, an educator for more than thirty years and Instructor of English at the University from 1974 until her death in 1981.
The Weaver Betts Cotton Scholarship
- The scholarship is presented to a junior or senior woman who is majoring in English and who demonstrates excellence in scholarship, citizenship, and character.
The Evelyn Hammett Scholarship
- This award is presented to an English major chosen by the English faculty as an outstanding writer.
The J’Nell Posey Coffman Memorial Scholarship
- This award for creative writing was established by Charlie Coffman in memory of his wife, J’Nell Posey Coffman. It is awarded to an outstanding student in the creative writing degree program.
The Annie Caulfield Winston Scholarship
- This award is presented to a junior or senior English major selected on the basis of excellence in English, character, and general culture.
The Robert “Buzzy” D. Wright Scholarship
- This scholarship is presented to an English major of varied interests. Students who study more than one language are usually given top consideration.
The John Hargrove Tatum Memorial Scholarship
- Established in memory of Dr. John Tatum, who served for twenty years as Professor of German and Coordinator of International Studies, the scholarship is awarded annually to a deserving German or international undergraduate student.
The Rose Drake Burrell Scholarship
- This scholarship is awarded to an English or History major who demonstrates excellence in scholarship, citizenship, and character.
The William Arthur Pennington Award
- This award, honoring Dr. William A. Pennington, who served on the faculty of DSU for over forty years, given annually to an outstanding student with a particular interest in religion and/or philosophy.
Hazel and Grover Thornell Award
- Established in memory of Ms. Hazel Thornell, this award is given annually to an outstanding student in the division.
The Davidson Scholarship
- Entering freshmen in liberal arts may compete for the Davidson Scholarship, which covers the entire cost of tuition, room and board, and books. For further information, contact the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, 662-846-4100.
Jack Winton Gunn Award
- This is the highest academic honor given to a Delta State University student, named in honor of the former Dean of the University.