Home » Academics » Libraries » University Archives & Museum » Web Exhibits » Hooks Brothers Web Exhibit » Hooks Studio
The Hooks Studio
Charles W. Capps, Jr.
Archives and Museum
The Hooks Brothers Photography studio, begun by Henry A. Hooks Sr. and his brother Robert B. Hooks in 1907, was first located on Main then moved to 164 Beale, where it remained for over forty years. Later, the studio moved to Linden Avenue, where the Hooks School of Photography operated, and finally to 979 East McLemore in the 1970s. The studio remained in the family and operated throughout most of the 20th Century, becoming the second oldest black owned business in Memphis.
Click on a smaller image below to view a larger version.