Delta State University's response to Coronavirus
TO: Delta State University
FROM: DSU President William N. LaForge
UPDATE #9: Coronavirus Update from President LaForge – April 10, 2020
You will be pleased to know that we are finally able to share information with you about room, board, and parking refunds or credits that are due to you because of the abbreviated semester. Based on guidelines approved today by the Mississippi’s Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) Board of Trustees, Delta State will issue prorated refunds or credits on housing, meal plans, and parking to eligible students due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
I appreciate the patience of the Delta State family as we have worked with our governing board and sister state universities to develop an overall refund policy that is fair and equitable.
I have provided below the general guidelines and an overview of the prorated refund/credit process. More information will be forthcoming over the next several days.
- Refunds/credits will be effective as of March 16—the first day classes would have resumed if spring break had not been extended an extra week.
- Refunds will first be applied to any outstanding balances that students owe to Delta State. The remainder of the refunds will be issued to eligible students as a direct payment through student accounts by direct deposit or checks, or as a credit to the student’s account for the fall 2020 semester.
- Students are not eligible for refunds/credits for the following reasons:
- Students who officially withdrew from DSU prior to March 16
- Students whose housing or meal plans have been paid through institutional scholarships designated for housing or meal plans
- Students who remain in campus housing
Separately, Delta State is waiting on additional information and guidelines about federal grants to students.
Because all classes are continuing through online/remote instruction, no IHL university, including Delta State, can refund tuition or other fees, according to the IHL guidelines.
Delta State has begun the process of developing guidelines for prorating refunds/credits to eligible students and hopes to disburse all refunds or apply credits no later than May 15. Based on each student’s unique circumstances, it may be several weeks before every eligible student receives a refund/credit. Delta State will share in the coming days more details about the refund/credit process, its timeline, and other pertinent information.
I hope you are safe and healthy during this challenging time.