For the Quick Guide in Word format, click here
Prepare to Apply
Obtain Approvals to Submit
Route to the Office of Institutional Grants
- Outline project concept.
- Identify potential funding source.
- Ensure that eligibility requirements are met and that university is able to fulfill goals of the proposed project.
- Obtain preliminary approval from Department Chair, Dean, Provost.
- Notify the Office of Institutional Grants and forward a copy of the program guidelines (4804 or Robin Boyles).
- Ensure that all profiles are up-to-date for electronic filing, if necessary (NSF Fastlane, NIH, etc.).
- Prepare proposal in accordance with the funder’s guidance for content and formatting. The responsibility of the development of the technical content of the proposal lies solely with the Project Director, however, assistance can be requested.
- Obtain assistance from the Office of Institutional Grants as needed especially in areas of budget development, University and regional history and proposal formatting. Pertinent university information can be found here.
- Consult with OIT if including technology to ensure capacity requirements when technology is included.
- The Office of Institutional Grants can complete electronic forms such as certifications and assurances (required by the federal government).
- Notify the Office of Institutional Grants at any time for assistance (4804 or Robin Boyles) For federal proposals, it is important to download the appropriate application packet off of the grants.gov website.
- Complete the Internal Approval Form.
- Obtain signatures of approval from Department Chairs, Dean, OIT (if technology is included).
- Submit Internal Approval Form and completed proposal to the Office of Institutional Grants five days in advance of deadline for review and administrative approvals. A project budget is required even if the funder is not requiring a budget to be submitted.
- The Office of Institutional Grants will review and obtain administrative signatures i.e., Associate Vice President of Finance and Administration, Vice President of Finance, Provost.
- The Office of Institutional Grants will notify PI/PD of any necessary changes.
- For electronic proposals that are prepared and submitted online, provide the Office of Institutional Grants with access at least 48 hours before deadline (ex. NSF Fastlane).
- Proposal submission is the responsibility of the PI/PD.
- For federal proposals, upload the appropriate documents into the application packet and submit to the grants office for submission. Proposals through grants.gov can only be submitted by those authorized to do so.
- Proposals through grants.gov will be submitted by the Office of Institutional Grants (the Office MUST have at least 5 days notice) to access all of the necessary forms.
- Forward a copy of the award or denial letter to the Office of Institutional Grants.